Thank you gift for a Host Family

10:13

Today's quandary is from Michelle who writes:

"I'm going to be visiting my host family in America, staying with them for a month. I have known them for about 5 years and this will be my fourth visit with them. I don't want to give them books or pictures but something a bit more unique." Michelle, Germany

When students set off on their exchanges they are encouraged to take something traditional from their home country as a gift. Something traditional from Germany would be nice, but as this is Michelle's fourth visit she obviously wants to be a bit more original.

When I was hosted I took a beautiful pencil drawing of a waterfall by a local blind artist in a wooden frame and they loved it. The timber was beautiful Australian wood and the scene was local to my home state.

Perhaps Michelle knows of an artist that might have prints available of well known places in Germany. Or even a platter or serving dish made from local materials of her area.

Hand made soaps are another great idea, especially if they use ingredients specific to a region.

Markets are great places to check out for appealing items made in your local area. Just make sure that if the gift consists of any plant or animal material that you declare them when entering another country.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts